Independence Day Wish List
Yay! Another one comes by. Nothing has changed over the previous year, except that this one comes on a long weekend (what joy).
We continue to be independent, on paper that is. Our minds, our thoughts and our lives are still guided by the ‘trial version’ freedom forced on to us by the care takers of the nation, largely, and by ourselves to an extent.
So, here’s my way of making this one a bit different. I know it’s futile, but nevertheless, I present to you my Independence Day wish list.
- Can I have some peace, please? The last month has been full of bomb blasts and riots. It’s getting a little too much to bear. All that we have got from our ministers is the usual rhetoric. As a peace-loving citizen of this…err…peace-loving country (no pun intended, sachchi), I want peace around the nation.
- Gold medals. Yeah, gimme some more of those. Abhinav will not be able to take all the pressure alone, he needs company. Heck even a few bronzes would do.
- Can we make religion a little less important, please? It does not deserve all the attention it gets and there are many more issues that need attention. Poverty, anyone?
- Could someone knock some sense into India’s neighbours and ask them to mind their own business? I mean, their country is going to dogs and yet they get time to harp about Kashmir!
- Music. Photography. Books. I want more of all the three. But before that, I need time on my hand to pursue these interests. Could a few more hours be added to the day please?
- And finally, someone please convince my mom that it’s not compulsory for me to bathe just because one of the godesses is being worshipped for some reason. It’s a holiday for god’s sake and our independence day at that. Can’t I be free enough to not bathe?
That’s all I wish for the time being. As time goes by, may be a few more items will get added. I am sure you too would have a similar list in mind. Bring it on, what’s holding you back?
Oh, and before I forget, Happy Independence Day! Enjoy the long weekend.